Thursday, May 13, 2010

Smokin Cake!!



This is a cake I made for a friend's birthday. He has loaned me his smoker for about a month now and it has brought me great joy. I thought that I could only return the favor with a cake on his big day. It was a really simple idea that I think came together really well. One thing that I am discovering is that when you use structure in your cakes they seem to take on a whole new level. The smoker would not be the same without the legs or handles.



Also, I think that when you have multiple pieces to your cake, like the lid, it seems to add a different visual element. It is not that this added a lot to the difficulty, but just made it pop. The meats atop the smoker were fun to make as well. Since I did not have gum paste or fondant I simply piped some thicker frosting onto the top and painted them with a little watered down food coloring. The food coloring gives it a nice shine. I added some coco powder as well just for that extra special look.



The inside of the cake, which cannot be shown because the cake has not been cut, is alternating chocolate and red velvet layers. Again, nothing too crazy, but I think it will make the pieces really stand out when they are on the plate. Birthdays are always fun and I encourage you to get a little crazy with your next birthday cake. Show your friends how much you care by putting some effort into a hand made cake that they will remember forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment